How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I love thee to the depth and breadth and height my soul can reach, when feeling out of sight for the ends of Being and ideal Grace. I love thee to the level of every day’s most quiet need; by sun and candle-light. ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be, The last of life, for which the first was made: Our times are in his hand Who saith, “A whole I planned, Youth shows but half; trust God: see all, nor be afraid!” ~Robert Browning
I realize that it being after 3 AM, February 24th has given way to the 25th, but as I worked til after midnight, it still feels like the 24th to me. And so I cannot go to bed without a tribute to 8 years of love. To be cliche (seeing as I already started with “how do I love thee”), February 24, 2001 was the beginning of the rest of my life. For 8 years now, and for some uncounted time before that, I’ve been in love with the same man. Of course, 8 years ago at the awkward age of 13, he was not the man he is today. Heavens knows I’m not the girl I was at 13. But on some fundamental level, in the deeply important ways, we haven’t changed. In all the ways we have changed (and they’re certainly quite numerous), we’ve managed to change together, or at least accept each others’ evolution. It’s beautifully strange, really- We’ve grown up together.
I am so blessed to have found my soul mate in junior high. I can’t decide whether or not to believe people are “meant for each other,” but I do believe God’s plan is always at work in our lives, and I like to think that God had Michael in mind when he designed me, and vice versa. It’s amazing to know I have this best friend with whom I can be totally genuine without worrying if it’s annoying, offensive, or just plain ridiculous. And trust me, there’s a whole lot of ridiculousness.
Naturally, we’ve had our share of drama. We’d have to be two of the most dreadfully uninteresting, apathetic people on the face of the planet if we could date for 8 years without drama. But the major fights have been few and far between, and we’ve come out of each one with a better respect for each other and a more mature understanding of how to love someone.
I could go on and on, but I’m sure readers are already gagging on my sappy little love blog.
For your entertainment, here’s a sampling of the goings-on of American pop culture in 2001:
- The All-American Rejects, The Mars Volta, Fall Out Boy, and My Chemical Romance were all established as bands.
- Castaway, Shrek, Pearl Harbor, The Fast and the Furious, Monsters, Inc, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, and LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring were among the box office No. 1 hits.
- The Baltimore Ravens beat the NY Giants in Superbowl XXXV, and the Arizona Diamondbacks beat the NY Yankees in the World Series.
- Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman announced their separation.
- In 7th Grade at Zion Lutheran Elementary in Harvester, MO, Nicole Mueller asked Michael Laskowsky to be her boyfriend (again). He said yes! As they say, the rest is history 😉