Grounded: The toils of air travel

(I wrote this Thursday, but I couldn’t post it since I was on a plane. The following is a true account of my airline mishaps.)

Everything was going according to plans – better than planned, in fact – so something was bound to go wrong. It did. My lecture ran long and I forgot my gloves at home, but I managed to retrieve them and get from Columbia to St. Charles earlier than I’d hoped. The carry-on bag I wanted was in St. Charles, so I had to guess at my available space and repack when I got there. I could fit more than I expected and as a result I now have my laptop. Made it to the airport in plenty of time thanks to Tim and security was a snap. Love online check-in and no checked luggage. I did everything right, but mother nature had other plans in store for me.

Our plane arrived a tad late due to weather conditions. The crew rushed us all on in an attempt to stay on schedule. We boarded this plan in double-time, but to no avail. This flight is to Atlanta, where I’m supposed to catch a connecting flight to DC. Unfortunately, Atlanta’s airport has shut down due to low-hanging clouds. According to another passenger, there are tornado warnings moving in all around Atlanta. We are supposed to sit on this plane for another forty minutes and wait for news from Atlanta. This makes me wish I had eaten dinner, or maybe at least lunch. I’m keeping a positive attitude, but my blood sugar is fairly low and I’m feeling the effects. It’s my fault for being hypoglycemic and not planning for the unexpected. I’ve never had trouble flying before, but I’ve heard the stories. This could be fun.

To make it a lot less amusing for me, my laptop battery is dying and I don’t have a notebook on me. I wonder if there’s any way to charge it? Stupid valet checking- I gave them my carry-on at the gate so they could stick it under the plane and get us on faster. This seemed extremely useful (and free, no less), until I found myself marooned without a pen and paper. It may be the power of suggestion (thoughts of being trapped on this plane forever), but I’m pretty sure my butt’s already asleep.

If God wants me to get to DC in time for the March for Life, I’m sure he’ll take care of it. Hopefully this means clearing up the weather in Atlanta. We’ve just taxied back to the gate to get more fuel in case we fly to Atlanta and then have to circle for a while before they let us land.

Update: Got to Atlanta over an hour late, missed my connecting flight. Praise God for Moe’s Southwestern Grill in the Atlanta airport – I got my first (and last) meal of the day at around 11 p.m. Mmm, Triple Lindy! I managed to get on another flight that night and landed in DC around 1:15 a.m. Wonderful time for a first taxi ride. It was certainly an experience, but I made it to DC safely.


About Nicole

Daughter of God, wife, mother, volunteer youth leader, substitute teacher, aspiring writer, rabbit owner, nature lover. These are some of my titles.
This entry was posted in Life as we know it and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s