Boston, Part 1: In Flight

I scheduled myself a bright and early 6:15 a.m. flight to Boston. Although I could have fit everything in a carry-on sized bag, I chose to check it. After all, Southwest is one of the last big airlines to allow (not one, but two) free checked bags. Who could pass that up. My carry-on is so large it would have to be gate-checked anyway, I justified. Besides, I relished the idea of carrying a whole bottle of face wash instead of squeezing some into a tiny bottle to be shoved into a zip lock bag for the security of Americans everywhere.

Free checked bags were once expected. Now they’re rare. In this case, I got what I paid for. The plane stopped in Chicago to dump off most of its passengers and refill with a fresh batch. When it finally arrived in Boston, I was feeling slightly queasy (I must be getting old) and extremely hungry. I marched down the terminal with the guidance of the Baggage Claim signs overhead. I couldn’t stop grinning. I haven’t seen Meredith in five months, our longest stretch apart since we met. The aerial view of Boston was beautiful. I predicted falling in love with New England.

I joined a crowd around baggage carousel #1. The screen didn’t announce the flight that would be unloading. It only listed flights that were upcoming.

“Is this it?” asked a girl next to me.


“Were you on the plane from St. Louis?”

“Oh, yeah, I assume this is it. At least, I hope it is.”

It was, but we were in for a long wait. After delivering about a fourth of the passengers’ luggage, the carousel was empty. Eventually a voice came over the intercom. It informed us that our bags might be stuck on the conveyor belt. Groans and grumblings erupted. The man next to me was irate, which I thought was pointless. Time wore on. I was hungry, and eager to see Meredith. To make our wait more pleasant, some sort of siren started blaring. People looked around but didn’t seem too concerned, so I held my ground.

Finally, an airport employee had to climb down the baggage chute and drag each piece of luggage up individually. I grabbed my bag as soon as it rolled up. But Boston Logan Airport wasn’t done with me yet. The automatic door was busted. I could see Meredith’s rented ZipCar sitting outside, but I couldn’t get to it. The man behind me took action. He body-checked the door and forced it open.

I’m pretty sure the song “Chariots of Fire” played as Meredith and I slow-motion rushed to greet each other. I had arrived.

About Nicole

Daughter of God, wife, mother, volunteer youth leader, substitute teacher, aspiring writer, rabbit owner, nature lover. These are some of my titles.
This entry was posted in Travel and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Boston, Part 1: In Flight

  1. Mere says:

    I’m sad your first experiences in Boston weren’t that great, but I hope we Madeira up to you. Also, I really hope that somewhere there’s security footage of our run together 🙂

  2. Nicole says:

    Haha, they weren’t that bad, either. Also, I love your iPhone auto-corrections. You certainly did Maeira up to me. I had a great time!

  3. Mere says:

    That’s so weird! I guess I missed the space button… oh well.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s